Living a life fueled by good eats and extreme fitness.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Learning Turbo; Warmup and Punches

So as most of you know, I just recently took my TurboKick Certification class and had an absolute blast! I really want to start teaching it, but there are a lot of things I need to learn first. When I told my mom that I was finished with the class she asked,"So are you going to start teaching now?" and it kind of threw me for a loop. Believe me, if I had a photographic memory, and a musical/dance background I would waltz right into my audition and bust out some Turbo moves now, however, I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday, and you could describe my musical/dance background as being a fan of GLEE.

With all that being said, I have set out on my path to start learning this stuff so I can actually start teaching it without looking unprepared. TurboKick gets released in rounds, kind of like a BodyPump series. They are on round 49 now, I think, but I was taught on round 44, so why not stick with it? Each round has 11 components all synched to specific music. I have to learn counts a little better than I do now because it is all off a 32 count beat. Honestly, I didn't even know what that meant until taking this class, I always just counted how many reps we did of everything, but I am finding out that doesn't always work.

The first, and probably most important thing to do was learn the Warm-up. It's the same for all rounds, and is a nice stable constant for those who are avid TurboKick aficionados. I learned it pretty quickly but the problem I was facing was the music was lasting about a minute longer than all the moves. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but I just figured that's water break time before the real stuff begins!

Next on the list is the punch sequence. TurboKick is based on layers. You start off with something basic and another something basic and add them together. Those are layers 1 and 2. Once it seems like more than half of the room has got it, show them another layer, do it for a 32 count, and add it to layers 1 and 2...Sounds super simple, however, I hate to admit this, but I am a very rigid learner. I like things to be one certain way and by the books. I like cues and things to know if I am doing something right or wrong. This may be super anal of me, but I am who I am...At least I will do something over and over till it is right.

 And I did, for about 3 hours...I didn't even realize how much time had passed! I did a couple more run throughs and called it a day. Tomorrow I will move onto some kicking sequences and let y'all know how they go. One thing I can definitely say, it is a lot harder to learn to teach it to people, than just go to a class and workout. I have to get better at talking and cuing before the move comes up, rather than as I am doing it, because that will be a lot more helpful. O well, all a learning process that I am enjoying.

I have some pretty exciting stuff coming up the next few months, but I don't want to say them because it might jinx it. But just pray things go right for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment