Living a life fueled by good eats and extreme fitness.

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Sunday I've Been Waiting for....

The thing I used to look forward to most when Mike and I didn't live together, and he was in his fraternity apartments was our Sunday morning breakfasts. Traditionally, Mike and I would either go out, or get off from a long night of work on Saturday nights, hit the hay, and then wake up Sunday morning and make an amazing breakfast for us and a few brothers who would join in on the "Brunch Extravaganza!!!" (Really they just wanted some free, good eats for their hungover bodies.) But we loved the company and it was always fun to digress and discuss what everyone's night had become. Unfortunately, since Mike got his new job and runs their Sunday Brunch EVERY SUNDAY, I am left to make pitiful breakfasts by myself with Monkey as we do laundry and household chores.

Mike let me in on the best news this semester though, when he told me, he would have this past Sunday completely off, and we would go to this restaurant in town especially known for their great brunch fare, "Sage." We woke up around 9, and slowly made our way to the other side of town where Sage is located. As we pulled up on this perfectly clear sky day, you could definitely tell this place was full of its regulars and hipsters that don't miss a Sunday. Luckily, we got there when they opened, so we got seated right away.
He' so cute!
They presented us with menus, and right away we ordered Mimosas to start this celebration day off right. 

***{Side note} I had prepared for this day to be my 'splurge day' with food so don't look absolutely horrified by the amount of food I will soon post. We shared it all, and in no way finished it. However, I found making a menu of exactly what I planned on eating for the week helped tremendously getting me back on track, so I felt great going into today!

Back to brunch! The menus were very nice and to the point. I don't like places that overload you with choices of what to eat, it makes the process less enjoyable.
Lots of things for me to eat :)
We decided early on we wanted to just get a bunch of things and split them. We were in no rush, and everything was made to order so the breaks in between us ordering helped the food to digest a good amount. Plus, I planned on this being breakfast and lunch so I had to cover two meals right? 
Our first round of ordering consisted of escargot, a turkey, raspberry jam and brie croissant sandwich, and corn beef and hash. 
SNAILS!!!
I wasn't the biggest fan of the escargot. It wasn't that I was eating snails, it just didn't taste like anything special, kind of just a lot of butter and garlic, and not in a good way. 
Turkey, Jam, and Cheese...need I say more?
The croissant was so buttery and flaky it almost melted in my mouth. I hoarded most of this away from Mike because I enjoyed it so much. The only problem was it was gone so fast.
Corn Beef and Hash
This was very good too! I had never had corn beef and hash before and Sage did a wonderful job with punches of flavor bursting out of this dish. Just the right amount of peppery, and salty goodness.

After we finished up with these three dishes we needed another round of mimosas! We took another gander at the menu and one dish had my name written all over it...
Brioche French Toast with Orange Butter and Homemade Granola!!!!
I died! It was amazing and I didn't want it to end. Luckily, Mike took the other piece or I would have eaten it all by myself. He ordered their Bacon Blue cheese Burger...
Yummy chipotle Mayo
It was good but mine was better :) So we had planned on stopping there, but then we heard a distinct question coming from the waitress at the table behind us, "Sir would you like to see our dessert menu, we have a Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich with Peanut Butter Ice Cream that is to die for..." DONE, say no more, Bring It On!!!!
um...yeh, I'm not gonna lie, we ate it all.
If they were not located across town, and I would not gain a single pound from eating these little pieces of heaven put on earth, I would eat one of these cookie sandwiches every single day for the rest of my life. This dessert could stop war, that's how good it was. Mike and I were cracking up at how ridiculous we looked biting into these monstrous pieces. After that, stick a fork in me, I'm done! Thankfully, we ran a couple of errands after this, mainly ones that involved great distance walking so the food baby that had formed in my stomach would disappear. The next meal for this day would definitely have to happen sometime after 8pm. 

A couple weeks ago, Mike had agreed we would make 150 cupcakes, for a local sorority, in honor of their Mother's Day function they hold every year. We decided today would be a perfect day to do a dry run of all the cupcakes, and start getting things in order for the massive order. 

After a couple hours of shopping, thinking, baking, and frosting we had come up with three very distinct cupcakes!
Homemade French Vanilla with a Swiss Buttercream
This is my recipe that I came up with a couple of years ago and is my go to cake for any occasion. 
Reeses Peanut Butter Cupcakes
These have a chocolate cake with chunks of Reeses peanut butter cups right in the cake. Plus a chocolate Peanut butter frosting never hurt anyone.
Lastly, a Banana Foster cupcake with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting.
These are almost like a banana pound cake with a light and decadent cream cheese frosting. 

We have to make 150 to deliver on Saturday morning. 

However, for the time being I must find people to eat these...

This Sunday was the best day I've had since Spring Break with my mom. It was much needed, and I'm just happy I got one day to spend entirely with Mike. He is such an amazing boyfriend and I love him very much...I know, mushy mushy. Also, I want to say CONGRATULATIONS to two of my oldest and best friends who got engaged this past week! Katy and Adam, you two are truly amazing people and I am so genuinely happy for you! I love you both <3













3 comments:

  1. congrats to ur friends on their engagement. what about the baked fish recipe.. big-b

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't like red sauces . i like white. big-b

    ReplyDelete
  3. SAGE- wow that place looks good ! but i think you have showed us better food made at your home FIT FOODIE CHICK !!! big-b

    ReplyDelete