Living a life fueled by good eats and extreme fitness.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Not enjoying Summer Class...

So far, besides working out with Mike and the crew at Sweat Therapy, my Summer has been bogged down by a class I can't stand. I am talking about the infamous Business Communication class that is required for me to graduate, and die a slow death apparently. If someone,(an advisor) had told me this was the equivalent to a Kindergarten English class, and was best taken Junior year, I might not be as miserable now while we go over 'How to Write your Resume' and all the proper parts of speech.

 Along those same lines, I learned this stuff in grade school (not the resume part, obviously) and don't remember what adverbs, and complex/compound, sentences are now. I made it through just fine, and don't see the reason, if I haven't had some form of brain damage, bless anyone who has, to reiterate what I would rather leave in the past.

Sorry for the rant, but I haven't even gotten to the best part, that makes me do a double take every time I come to class. MY ACTUAL CLASS. I have never been surrounded by more uninterested, non common sensical, annoying people in all of the classes I have ever taken. My cat, Monkey could complete more difficult tasks; you think I'm kidding, I'm not. At least Monkey managed to clean himself everyday; wish I could say the same for my classmates. I had a kid in the my today bring a bottle of chocolate milk to class. However, I'm assuming that's what this was; it was inside a Jim Beam bottle after all. Classy stuff.

My favorite so far has been our in-class speaking assignment, though. The task was to pretend you were being interviewed by a company you would like to work for and make a good impression. We randomly chose a question, had it read to us, and had to speak for 30 SECONDS to answer the question. I emphasized seconds because I feel this is a super simple task to complete and when the class heard about it, (because obviously non of them read their emails the night before to tell them it was coming) you could have sworn the teacher said an hour presentation on the Neo Classical era...

I wish I could get a copy of that tape and post it because you could have sworn these kids got out of jail yesterday, and hadn't conversed with a real person in years. One guy got the question, "Tell us about a struggle you experienced in the workplace, and how you handled yourself." I kid you not, he answered,
"Well, I used to work at um, Starbucks on campus and um, my boss was kinda a a a dick, so I ignored him and um, he didn't bother me. He eventually left and I um, stayed, so I guess that's how I handled it."

People clapped....yes, people actually clapped for this, and many more just like this. I was looking around each time someone finished, to see if I was the only one astonished by everyone's performance; apparently, I was. I don't consider myself to be a world scholar, or have the skills of top public speakers but compared to these people, I was Martin Luther King Jr.

This was at the beginning of the semester and I still have a few more weeks to go. Soon, we have to present something to the class that we love, and try to "sell" it by speaking about how wonderful the product is. I plan to do the TRX, since that is something I can easily bring into class and demonstrate. I apologize for sounding like a Debbie Downer today, but I just can't believe all these kids have gotten through four years of college already. Hopefully, for them and me both, this class will start to fly by and I'll be in Dallas before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment