Living a life fueled by good eats and extreme fitness.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Life Lessons from my Kitty...

A lot of other bloggers I read, have recently been doing these posts about how their pets teach them lessons about life that truly should stick with you. I thought this was an adorable idea and never need an excuse to show off picture of my fluff monster, monkey, so I decided to do one as well. Here's to Monkey and all the things he does on a regular basis that I should be trying to stick to more often...
Snore, snore, fishy, snore, snore...treats...
First of all, sleep is very important to make priority in your life. Without ample sleep in your life, things are harder to do, concentrate on, and not as enjoyable to experience. Monkey sleeps later that Mike and I almost every day of the week with the exception of the days we get to sleep in, then he becomes an early riser of course. He also only likes sleeping on my side of the bed so I have to conform my legs around his body as not to disturb the angle, haha.
Squeaky Clean!
Next, personal hygiene is a must! Let's face it, I don't like smelly people, they don't like smelly people, so personal upkeep is important to you and your peers around you. Monkey gets a bath whenever his fur is looking greasy and he hates it! But I would rather deal with his struggles and have him smell like baby shampoo than litter, ewwww. I always feel terrible on Tuesdays and Thursdays because I normally squeeze in an hour workout between my two classes and don't have time to run home and shower, so I bring a change of clothes and just try and sit by myself. Good looking out.
Do you like my Poncho?
Always dress to impress! I have to admit, I am an offender of never doing this. I mostly live in gym clothes and my work uniform, but when I  have the time, I love getting dolled up. When my hair is nice, makeup is done, and I have a sweet new outfit to debut, nothing puts me in a better mood. However, I do enjoy a great pair of elastic waist 'boy' pants and a football jersey too! Don't worry, I never dress my cat up, but this was right after monkey had surgery and had to have this little poncho on. He looked so cute.
Streeeeeetch....
Before and after workouts, stretching is essential to prevent injuries. I have terrible shin splints and can tell if I have been slacking on the stretching when they hurt more than normal. Recently, my trainer introduced me to PVC pipe rollers. They are kind of like the foam ones, but that's not 'hard core' enough for Chris so the hard, unforgiving plastic it is! My mom also bought me this thing called "The Stick" that has a bunch of tiny rollers on a stick you roll over sore muscles and it feels great! Lactic Acid build-up is the worst enemy of workout-a-holics. Monkey just does it because he knows he looks cute and might score some tuna treats.
(**I hope this video works, I've never added a video before. It it doesn't, its monkey running around in a circle trying to catch his tale.)
Running around in circles, never gets you anywhere. My cat does this everyday, at the same time in the afternoon, and I crack up watching him. But seriously, when I feel like I am spinning my wheels faster than where they are taking me, I have to relax a little bit, regroup, and think about the priorities in my life, and what truly needs accomplishing. I stress out easily, so if I feel it starting to creep up, I try and go for a run, or talk to someone close to me, to iron things out. I love exercising because it clears my head space and is my "ME TIME." I rarely take my cell phone to the gym, because distractions can wait for an hour at least. I'll get to them after I have a good outlook on the day. 
Where did the Mouse Go??
Go after what you want! Monkey has this little toy with a mouse that goes around and around and he will roll around with it for hours. Me, on the other hand, asks myself, "Does this make me happy?" If the answer is "no," then I take a different path. Recently, I decided to take another direction in my career path than what I am majoring in, Business Hospitality. There is nothing wrong with the hospitality business, I just need a break from some aspects that are not making me happy right now. I do have a wonderful business venture that I will hopefully put in motion one day, but for now, fitness and wellness are what works for me and makes me happy every day.
Mine mine mine mine...
Lastly, make the best out of any situation. Monkey jumped right in this box when we got it home from Costco one day, and ever since, he has made it his permanent kitty cave. I can't say I am always able to see the silver lining in everything, but living with a very positive boyfriend and weird cat helps me to look on the bright side more often than not. I also am very lucky to have a wonderful family who gives great advice and comfort as well. I know no matter what my future hold, something good will happen, I am CONFIDENT! :)

I hope you enjoyed my post revolving around my cat. Two years ago, when Mike surprised me on Christmas with him it was one of the happiest days of my life, and still to this day he brightens even the worst days. Even my crazy treadmill day on Tuesday. The rest of this week is looking busy, but hopefully Mike and I can squeeze in some good food and fun so Monkey won't be lonely at home.
Oh yeah, last point, "Mama knows best!!"






No comments:

Post a Comment